Bye Butterfly

The relentless headache… My neurologist fit me in early for the occipital nerve blocks. A steroid and numbing agent is injected into points at the base of your head where the occipital nerves exit your skull. The needle is so small, I could barely feel it. Relief came quickly and lasted for a day. Headache came back with a vengeance. My mom got in on the 20th to help out with the kiddos while I had my thyroidectomy – that happened on the 22nd. 

I woke up on the 21st and couldn’t handle the pain anymore but I had an appointment with my primary already scheduled for something else and was hoping he could help. My mom went with me since I couldn’t drive myself. He sent me over to the ER to have a work up done. They did a CT scan and an MRI, gave me dilaudid that barely touched the pain, and then knocked me out for awhile with reglan and Benadryl. 


They also gave me some IV steroids – those kicked in a few hours later and got rid of the pain. I also felt pretty good the next morning overall, which has me more interested in a steroid trial one doctor wanted to try with me. My Chiari looked different on the MRI than my September one and my odontoid process is pointing back towards my brainstem now. So… There’s that. They didn’t find anything else though thankfully and the staff was very nice. 

I had my surgery the next day and stayed in the hospital one night (best night of sleep ever, really). Yay, drugs. And okay, constantly being checked on by a nurse and having my vitals monitored was nice… 

 My four year old loves Power Rangers. He’d appreciate this…

The surgery went well and no cancer was found in my thyroid! I briefly felt some regret over having the surgery but now I am 100% confident that it was the right decision. It’s easier to swallow and I don’t feel like I’m being choked anymore. My voice was hilarious for awhile. It’s mostly back now but I can’t yell – I think that’s a blessing in disguise. I had been really disappointed by how much I had been raising my voice at the kids lately. It was a rough week… Surgery + POTS is not a great combo.

Stay in school, kids.

My dad came out to help after my mom left. I am very fortunate to have family that is willing to drop whatever and come take care of us. We also had two very thoughtful friends bring us some food. I’m feeling a bit better and more like myself today. This last month had been especially discouraging. I had gotten to a point where I was at least functioning most days, then BAM. These headaches… and Dysautonomia is a sneaky son of a bitch. Anything or nothing can set it off and you never know when it’s going to let up. My GI figured out I am not absorbing fats and probably other nutrients. I see him next week to talk about what could be causing that. Google is only your friend 20% of the time. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s